Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Doctors get sick too!

A couple of days ago I was hit with a nasty bug. It was so sudden and unexpected that one minute I was joking and laughing and the next, I was lying helplessly in bed.
I vomited all throughout the day and the toilet was my best friend for the day. It got worse the next day as my body tried to fight dehydration and fatigue from having no food for 48 hours.
So I have seen vomiting bug before. It is like smarties in casualty. The treatment is simple enough in most cases, put them up on continous iv fluids until they can start eating again. I of course refused to do this because well, it's just a bug and I thought my body can rectify itself with time( I'm haven't reached 60 so I HAVE to be fine) and no doctor would go to casualty for a simple D&V right?
But this one is the most severe yet for me. At one point, I felt totally helpless and so overwhelmed with fatigue that even breathing became an effort. Such drama for a mere vomiting bug.
😪

When you're 'young', you never thought of getting sick, apart from the usual colds and flu of course. Honestly, I was surprised that I can get that tired and ill.
Well, what it did to me was it reminded me that my health and 'young'life can easily be taken away against my will. Being 'young' will not become an excuse to delay my death or prevent me from getting cancer or etc.

Isn't it amazing how we can easily forget about this?

I have seen kids or people in their 20s lying helpless on the hospital bed, so sick from cancer and such. I remembered thinking to myself, please God don't let that be me one day. I have a small child that needs me and I want to see her grow up, go to college, get married, etc.

Such selfish thinking.

Truth is, it can happen to anyone of us, even doctors. The white coat is not a shield for diseases, it doesn't protect us from illnesses.
Doctors need MC too (although we don't get enough) sometimes, because we're just human being...Allah can give or take our health away anytime He wants.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment